Wednesday, February 3, 2010

How to select contractor to build your house

I keep getting mails asking me to tell square feet cost for house to be built without even a plan.If I say a low square feet cost of construction without even seeing the site,without even drawing a plan,I will get the contract straight away.Potential client will say-“Your rate is low as I made enquiries with many contractors who build houses.In addition,you are an Engineer also”

But I never do this and many people get angry with me for not telling a square feet cost for house to be built.Some people will simply say that he/she want house to be built within so many lakhs of rupees but at the same time demanding all sorts of facilities and rooms for the house.Contractor should build house with all these facilities and the cost should not exceed a pre fixed amount!

Again I do not say yes to such people.But the real fact is that almost all the non professional contractors simply quote low square feet cost or agree to build house within  any amount fixed by the client knowing very well that after commencement of work he can manage the house owner and make him pay more than the initial cost indication or rate fixed.

Once a Mumbai based lady wrote to me  asking me whether I can build a four bed room two story house with large rooms and other facilities with Rs.18 lakhs.She said she is a senior financial consultant of a reputed firm.I said it is impossible to meet her demands with Rs.18 lakhs.She angrily replied to me-“You talk as if Rs.18 lakhs is nothing.Do you know who I am.I am a finance expert”Then she asked me to tell square feet cost for house to be built by her somewhere near Kottayam or exact amount for building house as explained by her.I said cost can be calculated only after a site visit for understanding site conditions and after preparing a plan.Even cost thus calculated cannot anticipate or take into account possible changes in input cost of materials and labour which again in Kerala conditions can only go up.So without any data and plan of the house to be built only an astrologer can predict cost of house to be built by her which may get completed after one  year or more .She naturally got real angry and wrote me a stinker.

In the case of house construction in Kerala it will be good if you can start house construction activities as early as possible if you have any intention to build your house as tomorrow  will be too late as you may not be able to afford to build the house at increased cost.

Contractors may simply quote what you want-a low square feet cost just to make you start work with him knowing very well that after commencement you do not  have much option other than holding on to him even if it means  paying even double the rate he originally agreed for.So my advice to you is never to go to some one who quote low square feet cost.Try to understand more about his method of working,how reliable he is.Try to see some of the houses he has built.Talk to his earlier clients.Check how good he is technically and how good he is in giving quality work and then allow him to have reasonable profit if he does a good work ,technically sound and quality conscious.

Always have a qualified Architect or Structural consultant even though contractor will persuade you not to have such”unnecessary people who will simply eat your money”Your contractor if not technically qualified may not know anything about architecture or structural engineering.Do not listen to his words and always get professional design and guidance thus being pound wise and penny foolish instead of the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment