Sunday, July 3, 2011

Question,answer session again

CONCRETE DOOR WINDOW FRAMES

Query

Dear Thomas

I am very much interested to read your replies for others queries.  I am building a house at Trichur and it is around 2500 square feet.  Foundation is completed and now the next stage is to fix door frames. I live in Canada and visit Kerala only for 15 days in two years.  My contractor says  that if we fix wooden door frames there will be ants problems in future and wood can be easily destroyed and my contractor prefer to fix concrete door frames.  Is it advisable to fix concrete door frames instead of wooden frames.  I read a review about concrete door frames that it is very difficult to put the hinges and door won't be closed properly..

Your advice regarding this will be highly appreciated

Matri

My reply

It is not wise to design and build your house without active involvement of a qualified experienced Architect ,simply relying on advices of a contractor for whom commercial interests are more important and naturally he may misguide you on many matters related to construction to safeguard his own interests.

If you can send me pdf copy of plan of your house I can comment on the plan without any charges.I can also take up role of professional consultant for the building construction.

If concrete frames are properly manufactured with all technical requirements properly met,it can save money.Good wood will not get deteriorated as he says.Contractors usually use bad wood to increase their profit

Most of the concrete frame manufacturers do it with very little quality considerations and hence I will not advice you on using it except in case quality is certified by a qualified professional

POSSIBLE COST OF CONSTRUCTION

Query

Hi Thomas,

I saw your blogs quite interesting (few are my dream taste in fact) quite interested to know few things for a house which I may need to build in Trivandrum. I am  working for Emirates group in Dubai.

Planning to build 3000 sq. in 2 floors for rental purpose. Will not be staying in Trivandrum for at least 5 more years. I have land  10.5 cents and have a very huge tree (Anjili) so no need to buy wood I guess. Again how much will it cost if I want to build  a good house for this purpose 2 floor , 3 bedroom each floor attached.

I know its hard for you to say, but sorry  I am worried to jump if it doesn't fit my pocket.

Appreciate if can kindly advice what the techniques to reduce cost. Some of my friends told me that going for a normal bathroom fitting and modular kitchen will reduce the price.

Neena

My reply

With the present cost indications house may cost around Rs.60 Lakhs.But as price of all inputs keep going up almost everyday,by the time you complete the house it can only go up.This cost figure is just a guess

There is no point in postponing construction of house even for a day . Waiting for money to reach you in sufficient quantity to start construction is simply foolish as tomorrow you may not have the funds required even to start construction with the rate of cost increases

Even if you have funds for foundation work,do it now and never postpone.

First and foremost technique to reduce cost of construction is to get proper professional guidance right from beginning of design till final completion.Even people who have constructed one house say that he knows everything about house construction and will be willing to give free advice to any one.

After building directly more than 200 houses and acting as designer and consultant for many more buildings,I still learn more with each new project.When you get my services you not only get benefits of my expertise and awareness of latest technology inputs in the field,but also benefits of my rich experience

So simply do not go to some one who will give you a plan of the house free.That free design will drain your money in lakhs and the inconveniences and wastages of house thus built cannot be corrected or wished away later however hard you may try.

Make sure you get services of the best professional in the field.His fees will not be a loss for you as he will give you a better house at much lower cost than what you expect

No comments:

Post a Comment